So where was I...Ah yes, the three month mark when I started to realize that I didn't just instinctively care for this little being but that I actually enjoyed his company. Seriously, when he started smiling and cooing it was such a game changer. It was sort of like putting $5 of gas in a car with the gas light on - just enough to keep me going until the next gas station.
So all of this started happening at right about three months which of course was right when I needed to start working again. So the irony of it was that I spent a big chunk of my maternity leave looking forward to going back to the office (I was actually on email the day Michael was born *hangs head in shame*) but when the day finally came it was awful. I was THAT Mom, sitting in the parking lot crying my eyes out and begging God to somehow drop a bag full of money in my lap so that I didn't have to work.
But as we all know, a) God has more important things to worry about than my temper tantrum and request for bags of money and b) he knows much better than I do so the money never appeared and back to work 40+ hours a week I went. Do I love my job? No. But I do love my son, and deep down I know that being away from him for 8 hours a day makes me a better parent because I have more reserves to deal with his crankiness, getting into everything etc than I would if I had to deal with it all day everyday. I don't know how SAHMs do it day in and day out.
Of course, going back to work means getting back on the road so I've spent the past 10 days in Colorado Springs, CO. And I survived. Barely. Michael has been home with his Dad and I am one lucky, lucky girl to have a man like Michael's Dad in my life. Seriously. This guy was a full time single parent for 10 days after about 4 days of baby boot camp and he managed to survive a round trip drive from VA to NJ with a stop in Philly, a fever that wouldn't go away, an ER trip, a doctor's office visit, a heat wave and still managed to do laundry and run the vacuum at least once that I know of. Do I need to say anymore for you to understand why I love this guy so much?
And I guess that you all (ok, ok both of you) have figured out that DH has returned from Iraq and is home with his family. I promise next time I'll blog all about that, which will just give me the chance to gush all the more about how incredibly, ridiculously, disgustingly, over the top in love I am with this guy and how I am beyond lucky that he is my baby daddy. But for now, I need to go and pack my suitcase so that in 16 hours I can be landing back in VA and get those boys of mine back in my arms.
1 comment:
I'm so glad you are back to blogging! And I'm glad the hubby has returned safely from Iraq. I know you are so glad to have him back.
Post a Comment